Getting lighter

"I feel like I'll be another 20 lbs lighter by the end of this year too, except maybe in my soul too this time." - Katie Herring

The quote above comes from a friend of mine. Well, I'd like to consider her a friend. We don't actually know each other that well, but we've been in each other's lives forever. She is without question the best writer I know.

This line, from one of her own blog posts, occurred to me last night as I was biking home. I was chugging my way up a hill and noticed how light my backpack was. I'm used to carrying massive loads of stuff - laptop, planner, lunch, a notebook - to work and back, but here in Stavanger, I don't need any of that. My laptop lives at the institute because I can use other devices at home. I don't need to pack lunches because I always eat in the IRIS canteen. I had even left my notebook behind because I knew I wasn't going to think about science once I got back to my house.

This period of my life - the one where I'm in Norway - came at exactly the right time. It's refreshing to be in a place where nobody knows me. To be honest, I've surprised myself by not seeking out bucket-loads of friends and packing my schedule with extracurricular activities. I'm usually the girl juggling 50 things at a time - violin lessons, orchestra rehearsals, dance classes, church group meetings, and favor upon favor for my friends. So far, I've done none of that here. And I'm okay with that. 

I'm learning the value of rest, of having space and time to just think. Of dedicating myself to one passion, not five. It makes me happy to leave work when I've finished something, not when I have to rush off to the next task. I can feel myself getting lighter in both body and mind. 

I think this time in Norway will be my most productive, restorative period yet. I will go back refreshed.




Comments