Lover of the light

It won't always be like this, they said. Someday it will rain, they said. Take advantage of the good weather while we have it, they said.

Well let me tell you something: I did.

Walking across Stavanger City Bridge
This afternoon, I decided to go for a walk in the area surrounding Stavanger. I had plenty of time to explore, even if I got lost, so I got ambitious and headed to the bridge over the fjord. There are pedestrian paths on both sides, so it wasn't difficult to stay away from the cars.

I think the only way to describe what I did today is "urban hiking." I was actually hoping to make it far enough out of the city that I would be really hiking, but I was actually in neighborhoods the whole time. Numerous suburbs surround Stavanger, but the landscape is still interesting enough to make the trek worth it.

In the space of a few hours, I crossed three bridges, set foot on four islands, saw probably eight marinas, four sailboats, and two ferries. I'm coming to love this city's relationship to the water, and I really need to meet a friend who will teach me how to sail. I also noticed numerous people walking, biking, or simply lounging in the sun. Almost every house here has a designated area for sitting outdoors, whether it's a patio, a porch, a terrace, or a balcony. During the months when light prevails, Norwegians are outdoors as much as possible.

I know someday, sooner than I wish, the light will grow shorter. That day is not today, so for now, I bask in the sun.
The view over the fjord from one of the islands I visited.
Downtown Stavanger is just off the left side of this photo.

Comments