The little things

There are certain things that you can only learn by experience - the little things that make a place unique. Here's a list of interesting details I've discovered so far in Stavanger:

1) Brown cheese. It's made from whey, and the lactose (milk sugar) is caramelized, making the resulting product sweet. It looks like cheese; it has the texture of cheese, but it doesn't taste like cheese. It goes best on fresh, hot waffles.

2) Another food item: fish on bread. And eggs on bread. In fact, anything on bread. I've seen many of my colleagues do this at lunch: you take a piece of nice bread, then layer it with any sort of animal product you like. Slices of cheese, brown cheese, sliced hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, mackerel in tomato sauce. I tried that last one a few days ago, and I must admit, it's actually pretty good. You have to have a dark bread to complement the slight sweetness of the tomato. My favorite combination so far is smoked salmon on bread - now that is a good lunch.

3) I've become accustomed to industrial noise around me. It's certainly not obnoxious or constant, but especially at my institute, there's quite a lot of noise caused by the surrounding industry. I kept hearing a high-pitched tone followed by a couple beeps. The sound would last for about a minute and then stop. As it turns out, this is the warning sound for detonation of dynamite. Whenever you hear the high-pitched tone, don't go towards it, because someone is about to set off their dynamite. Once the sound ceases, all is clear. I think I'm usually just too far away to hear the actual boom of the dynamite, but when they used the same signal at a construction site near my house, I figured out the pattern. By the way: urban construction projects impress the heck out of me. How do you keep your mess contained within the confines of a narrow, populated street? Yeah, they do somehow. Keep it up, guys.

4) I learned today that rather than having a word for "the," Norwegians change the ending of a noun. They add either "-en" or "-et," so for example, my street, Kirkebakken, can be translated "the church hill." If it was just Kirkebakke, it'd be just "Church Hill." Make sense? Lots of streets end in "-veien," which means "the way," so for example, Ulaveien can be translated "the ula way." Very interesting.

Here's to learning by experience!

Comments