This is a test.

As you are all hopefully aware by now, my main objective this week is to implement my settlement plate experiment with the help of SCUBA divers. A lot of things have to fall into place before we can conduct the actual dive, the first of which involved testing out some new equipment that one of the
divers had recently purchased. After working at UNIS today processing data, meeting with various people, and listening to a few lectures, I headed out with the two divers for a test dive with their new equipment.

Peter and Daniel, just before diving into Adventfjorden.
(By the way, check out the view!)
I've never been involved with SCUBA myself, so to see the preparations necessary for a dive was quite the learning experience for me. It took the guys a full half hour to suit up. Each of them had at least 3 layers of underclothes and then their dry suit on top. Once we got out to the dive site, a beach in Adventfjorden, it took them another half hour to adjust all their equipment and get in the water. Diving in the Arctic is no joke!

It was actually a little frustrating for me to not be able to help with anything, but that's just the way it has to be, considering my lack of experience. I mostly accompanied them as an act of solidarity, because I'm determined not to just pass off my labor to other scientists - especially those who were kind enough to volunteer without ever having met me before. We were actually laughing at the end of the dive when both guys realized they had forgotten their shoes and I finally had a purpose! I could jump out of the car and hand them their shoes!
Quadruple. Rainbow. 

Even if I couldn't really do anything, I got to watch an atmospheric spectacle while the guys were underwater. It was misting when we got out there, and by the time they hit the water, there was a glorious quadruple rainbow over the fjord.

I'm telling you guys: Svalbard is magical. I hope to make some more progress later in the week. With any luck, we'll get my settlement plates out there!

Comments